Concord Township Council recently approved plans to preserve a 17-acre site, formerly a Christmas tree farm owned by the Hall family, located at Featherbed Lane and Bethel Road, writes Peg DeGrassa for Daily Times.
The new nature preserve is being planned by the township as passive open space and over 1.5 miles of meadow trails, as well as access to Delaware County’s Clayton Park.
Potential future trail expansions are currently being studied by the township. For more about Concord Township’s open space and trail efforts, visit www.townshipofconcord.com/trails/.
The $870,000 purchase by the township covers 14.5 acres. The Hall family will retain 2.5 acres containing the historic house, barn, cottage and spring house, which will be preserved in perpetuity with no further development.
The log and stone farm house was built between 1660 and 1683. It has the distinction of being the oldest surviving building in Concord Township.
It was expanded in 1936 by prominent Philadelphia architect R. Brognard Ogle, who also designed the small cottage on the property.
The property has been farmed since Colonial times and is a rare surviving example of log construction from the earliest colonial settlement period.
Find out more about Concord’s land purchase here.